Existing members, to open a new account or convert your existing account, please contact the Member Service Center at 800.273.6700 or stop in at one of our convenient branches.
Classic Checking and Savings, Club Accounts, and More
The Market Index Certificate is an insured share certificate that determines dividends based upon an average change in the Dow Jones Industrial Average Price Index (DJIA) over the term of the certificate.
- If the final average value of the DJIA is higher on the day the certificate matures than on the day it was established, the Market Index Certificate pays the greater of the minimum dividend or dividend based on a percentage of the increase.
- If the DJIA is the same or lower, the Market Index Certificate pays the minimum dividend stated.
- Regardless of whether any dividends are paid, the full amount of the initial deposit is returned to the member.
- Share and IRA Certificates
Share and IRA Certificates help you start planning for your future with only $500. The power of guaranteed, compounded interest growth then goes to work. The certificate rate is fixed at the time of deposit for terms ranging from six months to five years. Interest is compounded daily. Accumulated dividends are available monthly in one of two ways:
- Transferred to one of your Maine Savings accounts
Not interested in all that rewards business or extras like BillPay? Just looking for a regular old free checking account? Then Classic Checking is for you.
- No minimum balance required
- Carbonless copy checks with no per check fees
- No monthly processing fee
- Overdraft protection line of credit available to qualified members
When you join Maine Savings, you will open a "Share Savings" account. Once you join, it's easy to stay a member—just keep at least $5 in this Share Savings account. But use this account to its full advantage! Because it's a savings account, you will earn and receive monthly dividends based on your average daily balance!
Holidays, vacations, taxes and insurance. What do they all have in common? You may want to have extra funds available. A club account may be the answer!
A Holiday Club helps you prepare for holiday expenses by saving throughout the year. Best of all, on October 15th of each year, your holiday club balance will be transferred directly into your Share Savings account just in time for holiday shopping.
- Deposits are accepted via direct deposit, Maine Savings Online transfer, by mail or in person
- No limit on savings
- Earn monthly dividends, calculated on your average daily balance
Want to Design Your Own Club? Maine Savings offers you the opportunity to design your own club account based on your individual needs. Save for that special vacation, set money aside for taxes and insurance, or plan that dream wedding!
- Make deposits via direct deposit, Maine Savings online transfer, by mail or in person
- Dividends accumulate throughout the year
- Withdraw your funds at any time
Health Savings Accounts
An HSA is a tax advantaged savings account available to eligible taxpayers exclusively to cover current and future qualified medical expenses on a tax-free basis.
Benefits of an HSA
- Helps pay for qualified medical expenses not covered by your insurance, including your annual deductible
- Triple Tax Advantage—Contributions and interest they earn may not be taxable*. Distributions are tax-free if used to pay for qualified medical expenses.
- No “ Use It or Lose it” Rule. The balance rolls over from year to year.
- The HSA is portable.
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs)
Traditional IRAs take steady contributions and earnings over time to grow into an account that will help provide safety and security for you and your family for years to come.
- Tax-deferred earnings
- Tax-deductible contributions
- Long-term savings
Roth IRAs are unique savings tools. Not only can a Roth IRA help with retirement needs, but also a first-time home purchase or other financial goals. This flexibility makes the Roth IRA appealing to many different age and income groups. Although it's not a one-size-fits-all solution, the Roth IRA will give many members an easy and safe way to plan for the future. Plan provisions apply.
- Contributions to a Roth IRA are not tax-deductible
- Funds can be withdrawn tax-free
Coverdell Education Savings account help you plan for your child's education. Seeing a child earn a college degree is a dream of many parents. Unfortunately, the cost can be a nightmare. A Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) can be a smart way to save.
- Not tax-deductible
- Withdrawals, including earnings, are tax-free
- Used for tuition, books, and other qualified higher education expenses
Money Market Accounts
Earn a higher rate of interest on a federally insured Money Market account. Our money market account is most beneficial to those members who want their funds to remain liquid and accessible while earning a higher dividend rate, in contrast to leaving the funds in a Share Savings account.
- Up to six withdrawals per month allowed via Online Banking, TellerPhone, ACH, telephone, Service Representative, or by check
- No restrictions on deposits